Friday, July 18, 2014

The Artist's Way for Parents: Raising Creative Children


Art brings such joy and purpose to my life, I can't imagine living in a world without art. And yet, I understand that not everyone shares an artistic view of the world. But I believe art can be nurtured and encouraged, particularly when started at a young age.

I recently discovered the book The Artist’s Way for Parents: Raising Creative Children by Julia Cameron. I was not familiar with Cameron's book The Artist's Way, but understand that many parents wanted her to write this book to help them encourage raising children to be creative and to practice art.

I also understand that for some, encouraging creativity in their children does not come naturally. So I welcome Julia Cameron's efforts to provide a how-to book for parents who want to raise their children to experience and appreciate creativity.

The Artist's Way for Parents is written in a very straight-forward, easy to understand way; with exercises and activities parents can use with their children:
  • storytelling
  • a walk in the park
  • making music
  • creating art
Julia Cameron is an artist (poet, playwright, and filmmaker), and many of the ideas she shares are activities she used in raising her own daughter. 

Every child is creative. And every parent is creative. Your child requires joy, and exercising creativity, both independently and together, makes for a happy and fulfilling family life.
~ Julia Cameron

I think The Artist's Way for Parents would make a wonderful gift for any parent and child in your life!

à la prochaine,

Shirley




No comments:

Post a Comment